New HSBA Situation Update on Rin Tueny Mabor’s governance of Lakes state, South Sudan
GENEVA—Since his appointment as governor of Lakes state in June 2021, Rin Tueny Mabor has transformed the area from one of the most troubled in South Sudan to one of the most secure. His heavy-handed approach, however, has drawn controversy with allegations of human rights violations.
An Iron Fist in Lakes State: Law, Order, and Volatility on the Margins—a new Situation Update from the Small Arms Survey’s Human Security Baseline Assessment for Sudan and South Sudan (HSBA) project—discusses Rin Tueny’s methods, its effects, and the emerging challenges to his rule.
For more, check out:
- And Everything Became War': Warrap State since the Signing of the R-ARCSS—an in-depth report on current political and conflict dynamics in Warrap, a neighbour of Lakes state.
- The Human Security Baseline Assessment (HSBA) project page
- South Sudan outputs in our Resource Library
Other news from the Survey:
- New HSBA Situation Update on Abyei
- New Situation Update on arms trafficking and risks of proliferation under the Taliban in Afghanistan
- Small Arms Survey Annual Report 2022
- New Situation Update on the Taliban's arms management practices in Afghanistan since 2021
- New Blog Post: Investigating The Links: Government Effectiveness And Unplanned Explosions At Munition Sites