New Briefing Paper on the arms, ammunition, and explosives used by extremist groups in Mali
Mali has faced more than a decade of armed violence perpetrated by extremists, resulting in thousands of victims among national and international armed forces, UN peacekeepers, and civilians.
Continuity and Change: Extremist-used Arms in Mali—a new Briefing Paper from the Small Arms Survey’s Security Assessment in North Africa (SANA) project—investigates the arms, ammunition, explosives, and other materiel used in extremist attacks in Mali from 2015 to 2022, and the sources and pathways through which they were obtained.
For more, check out:
- The West Africa–Sahel Connection: Mapping Cross-border Arms Trafficking—a Briefing Paper that maps cross-border arms trafficking in West Africa and the Sahel
- Perceptions, Vulnerabilities, and Prevention: Violent Extremism Threat Assessment in Selected Regions of the Southern Libyan Borderlands and North-Western Nigeria—a Report that discusses the dynamics of risk factors in southern Libya and the neighbouring countries of Chad, Niger, and Sudan, as well as Nigeria
- Driven into their Arms: Exploring Gendered Motivations of Violent Extremism—a blog post that examines how different gender roles in North Africa and Sahel regions fuel distinct motivations for supporting—or eschewing— violence
- The SANA project page
- SANA outputs in our Resource Library
Other news from the Survey:
- New Briefing Paper on arms transfers to Afghanistan between 2002 and 2021
- New Situation Update on how the war in Ukraine has affected civilian perspectives on firearm possession
- New INSIGHT papers on illicit firearms ammunition and other explosive munitions, and privately made firearms (PMFs) in the European Union
- New update to the Global Violent Deaths (GVD) database
- New Regional Committee established to advise the project: ‘Pathway to Policy: Integrating Security and Public Health Responses to Firearms Trafficking and Violence in the Caribbean’
- New report on improvised explosive devices in West Africa